Saturday, July 7, 2012

SATURDAY DIME: Phaedra's Movie List


 Spirit: Stallion of the Cimmaron
 The soundtrack and the art of this movie is absolutely beautiful, and I’m a sucker for horse movies and anything with Cowboys and Indians. Hidalgo almost made the cut, but Spirit will always have my heart. Plus if I were a horse, I'd totally be that mustang.

 Pokemon: The First Movie
Who can't remember that heart-wrenching scene where Ash was turned to stone?Anyone who knows me knows that I am absolutely obsessed with Pokémon; even now I still buy all of the games and even have emulators for the classics. I own the first season and I still watch current episodes, the magic never stopped for me. My recent goal has been to crochet the original 150 Pokémon; needless to say I am a diehard fan.

 The Black Cauldron 
Man did this movie rock. I was so scared when I watched it but it is by far one of my favorite Disney movies. 

 Kiki's Delivery Service
This film has a super special place in my heart. It was the first movie that I watched obsessively for a long time.

 Australia
Words cannot explain how much I love this film. First of all, it’s a period piece. Secondly, it’s beautifully shot. Third, how can Hugh Jackman, Nicole Kidman and an aboriginal child (Brandon Walters) not make the perfect family?  
 
 The Dark Crystal
  I remember watching this Jim Henson film over and over again when I was little. I was always fascinated by puppets and how they moved, and the story was just the kind of dark awesomeness that I needed. 

 Spirited Away
I could watch this movie over and over again. I have the special two disc set. I love it because I can watch it while babysitting and the kids are just HOOKED. Not to mention it kills about two hours.

 Lilo & Stitch 
This is totally my comfort movie, when I’m sick, when I’m sad, when I’m happy, when I’m whatever this movie just makes my day. It’s funny though, because I thought for the longest time I hated it, so I probably hated it until I loved it.

 Kill Bill (Vol. 1 & 2)
  I’m such a sucker for karate action films (Kung Fu Hustle, Shaolin Soccer, Drunken Master…honestly my list could go on) but I’m a huge fan of the QT as well.
 
The Thief & The Cobbler
(also known as The Princess & The Cobbler)
First of all, this film took twenty-seven years to make. This was done before the years of CGI and everything in it moves, and everything that moves was done by hand. Not only that it’s a total braingasm whenever I watch it, filled with vibrant colors and ever moving frames—it pioneered so much in the world of animation and a documentary about it is coming out soon.

1 comment:

  1. LOVE Kiki, Spirited Away & The Dark Crystal! Really want to see The Thief & The Cobbler now too- sounds amaze! x

    ReplyDelete