Monday, June 25, 2012

Meet Perry and Sinatra!

At 2:30 in the morning on an early October night this little guy wondered into my life. One of the many perks of living in a coastal town surrounded by farms and water is the fact that they don't run short on stray cats. My RA and a friend had found him mewing desperately from a recycle bin and brought him into our dorm for the night. I overheard them struggling to get him to calm down. I tapped into my animal shelter worker side and swooped in and helped them out. They were so impressed with how quickly I was able to assist things that they offered him to me. I asked the Mr. and Mrs. and after they saw pictures it soon took little convincing. I named him Sinatra Stackhouse, but everyone just calls him Sinatra. He has one bad paw that is bent inward, but it doesn't do anything except make him more adorable. His namesakes, Frank Sinatra and True Blood's Jason Stackhouse, are two of my favorite men! 

Perry, my Russian land tortoise, was a gift from my father last summer. One of the neatest gifts I've ever gotten. You see, my grandfather had this weird saying, "Never pay for children or animals." Not sure why he ever declared this to my mother all those years ago, but ever since she's never had to buy a single a pet she's ever owned, and neither have I. I plan to to keep it that way. Anyways, I knew nothing about owning a tortoise so I had a lot of research to do. To my relief owning a tortoise, despite what the harsh pet critics may say, is one the easiest pets to own. They're great starter pets, as they do not die very easily and can adjust like it's their job! Perry loves lettuce of all kinds, but dark ones like spinach and romaine are the best. The occasional tomato or strawberry as a treat and certain flowers too. I'll be posting lots of diet ideas so stay tuned! People think tortoises are dull pets, but let me assure you that is so false. Perry has quite the personality. He's not the cuddliest, but he's great to watch for hours. 

~Turtle 






No comments:

Post a Comment